• 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 3/4 cup shortening, plus additional for greasing (I used unsalted butter and they came out fine)
• 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
• 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 cups oats (quick, uncooked)
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 cup jelly
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with shortening.
2. Combine brown sugar, shortening and peanut butter in large bowl. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed. Beat until well blended. Stir in oats with spoon. Mix until well blended. Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Press half the dough into bottom of greased pan and spread jelly over it. Flatten small amounts of remaining dough between hands. Place on preserves and arrange so dough sections touch. Fill in any spaces with dough so preserves are completely covered.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and edges are slightly brown. Do not over-bake. Cut while warm into bars about 2 1/2 x 2 inches.